Skip to main content

#1 Can I make a claim for the accident?

Of course, you can, so long as it is a valid claim, you are not largely or wholly negligent (at fault) and you have sustained injuries, suffered losses or incurred expenses arising from it.

#2 What can I claim for?

There are three types of damages:


These are damages to compensate you for loss and expenses based on your medical and specialist medical report,

Such as:

  • Pain and Suffering
  • Future loss of income
  • Future nursing care
  • Future medical treatment or surgery
  • Future additional transport costs
  • Future items required such as a wheelchair, bedding, etc.

This list is non-exhaustive. To know exactly what you can claim, please give us a call at 6557 0215.


These are damages to reimburse you for any fixed and quantifiable expenses already incurred due to the accident, including but not limited to:

  • Medical expenses
  • Transport costs
  • Repair costs
  • Rental costs for substitute vehicle
  • Loss of pre-trial salary
  • Pre-trial caregiver costs
  • Cost of medical equipment e.g crutches, wheelchair, bath rail, etc.
  • Damage to personal effects e.g clothing, jewellery, etc.


The fixed sum of 15,000.00 on top of dependency claims and all others are claimable, in the event of a fatal accident.

Please note that all heads of damage are subject to the issue of liability and proof of your claim. This, you shall be advised on when seen by your lawyer. Here at DL Law corporation, we shall provide you with handheld guidance throughout on what you would require maximising your claim.

Remember to keep all medical notes and reports, proof of medical expenses, taxi/grab fare receipts, previous and ongoing payslips, previous Notices of Income Tax Assessments, CPF statements and employment contracts.

#3 What if the other party was uninsured?

If the person who caused the accident was uninsured at the time, you may still apply to the Motor Insurance Bureau to satisfy your claim.

Call us for an appointment to make a claim with the Motor Insurance Bureau.

#4 What can I do if I wish to make a claim from a hit-and-run accident?

If you have suffered personal injuries as a result of the accident and do not have the details of the other party as he has escaped the scene, you may still make a claim to the Motor Insurance Bureau.

#5 How long do I have to make a claim for the accident?

For injuries sustained in a road traffic accident, your claim must be filed within 3 years of the accident date, subject to certain exceptions.

#6 Should I accept the insurance company’s settlement offer?

Some insurance companies may make attempts to reach out to you with an offer to wrap up the matter. You would want to seek legal advice on this, so as to not compromise your claim. Consult a lawyer when approached by anyone representing the third party or if someone projects to be helping you.

Remember, once settled, there is no turning back!

#7 What are the legal fees payable should I seek to claim for damages against the other party?

Should you be successful in your claim, most of your costs will be borne by the other party. To get a clearer picture of the legal fees payable, please feel free to contact us at 6557 0215 to arrange for a consultation with our lawyers.


#8 How long will it take to process my claim?

Every case turns on its own facts. Most claims end in settlement, which may sometimes occur in a matter of months. However, if the matter goes to trial, the claim is likely to take longer to conclude. Discuss with your lawyer on this.


#9 Can I represent myself in court?

When you represent yourself in court, you handle the court proceedings and applications without a lawyer. You will often be referred to as a litigant-in-person (LIP). As an LIP, you will be held to the same standard as lawyers. The court is not expected to relax its procedural rules and standards for you.  There may be tendencies you do not know what to do.

How can DL Law Corporation help you with Road Traffic Accident claims?

Call us at 6557 0215 for a free consultation

All we need is about 30 minutes to assess your claim

Advise you on the winning possibility of your case

Advice you on what you can claim

Advice you on the evidence to gather to ensure you do not compromise your claim

We apply for all parties traffic police reports

We apply for all medical reports

After the medical reports are in, we shall seek your instructions on making a request for Specialist medical reports

We shall do legal research and prepare the letter of demand and advise you once again on your claim sum

Letter of demand shall be issued to the 3P and the person’s insurers

They have to comply with certain fixed timelines. If they fail to do so, then we proceed further to start court actions.

If they comply with timelines and make an offer, we shall endeavour to conclude the matter at this stage, without the need to start court action


Nowadays, the insurers mostly try coming back with an offer without the need for court process. We shall advise you of the offer and make proposals to get the best compensation for you.




DL LAW CORPORATION is a Singapore-based law firm that helps businesses and business owners with their legal needs. The firm is a keen supporter of Small and Medium Enterprises and advises many SMEs on their legal issues, both corporate and litigation matters. Book a FREE CONSULTATION today at or send your email to to book your appointment.


The contents and views set out above are those of the author(s) and/or are personal views and for information only. It does not constitute in any way any legal advice or representation to the reader even if the facts appear similar to your fact situation. You are strongly encouraged to seek legal advice should you have any legal issues.